(BBB) – Shopping online can often be the perfect answer for busy individuals. While it’s easy to be drawn to the appeal of buying everything you need with a click of a button, BBB urges consumers to always practice caution when purchasing items online.
BBB has received multiple complaints from three local online retailers; Flypolar Clothing LLC, Kold Kulture, and Kortee, all of whom have an F rating with BBB.
Flypolar Clothing LLC has received 203 complaints in the past 12 months, many pertaining to how long it takes for the items they order to be shipped. One consumer “finally asked for [their] money back for the items after 3 months of no resolution.” Many are still waiting to get in touch with the company and had not received their order or a refund.
Kold Kulture is an online retailer selling hair extensions and false lashes. Consumers have ordered products from the website and then never receive their order after paying for it. One consumer notified BBB after reaching out to the owner through direct messages on Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter and email but received no response. Another consumer had been waiting “almost over two weeks” and when they tried contacting the seller, “no one has responded.” Many consumers are still waiting to receive their refund or order.
Kortee is another online retailer who has sold everything from trombones to leather goods. In the past 12 months they have received 26 complaints. One consumer placed an order in May and on July 11 had yet to receive their order even though “money had been taken from [their] account.” Another consumer had sent “four emails” and still hadn’t received their items or a response to any of their email. Again, most consumers have not received their items or a refund.
BBB offers these tips to stay safe while shopping online:
- Know the seller. Some of the best deals are only available online, but be careful. It’s easy for a fake site to mimic an official retailer’s website, so make sure you are shopping with the legitimate site. If the site is missing contact information, that is a red flag. Check out retailers at bbb.org before you shop.
- Be a savvy shopper. When shopping online, be sure to take your time, and read the fine print before submitting your order. Look for the return policy; although many online orders can be returned for a full refund, others have restocking fees. Some items cannot be returned; know before you buy.
- Think before you click. Be especially cautious about email solicitations and online ads on social media sites. Many sketchy retailers advertise great deals or trendy clothing that don’t measure up to the promotional hype.
- Beware of too-good-to-be-true deals. Offers on websites and in unsolicited emails may offer free or very low prices on hard-to-find items. There may be hidden costs or your purchase may sign you up for a monthly charge. Look for and read the fine print.
- Keep documentation of your order. Save a copy of the confirmation page or email confirmation until you receive the item and are satisfied. Be sure to know and understand the return policy and keep this documented with your purchase records.
For more tips to safely shop online, please go HERE. For more information, follow BBB on Facebook, Twitter, or at bbb.org.