Local officials are urging their communities to join millions of people who will Drop, Cover, and Hold On at 10:17 a.m. on Oct. 17, 2019 in the Great Central U.S. ShakeOut Earthquake Drill. Participating is a great way for your family, school or organization to be prepared to survive and recover quickly from an earthquake.
To participate in the 2019 Great Central U.S. ShakeOut :
- Register at www.ShakeOut.org/centralus/register to be counted in the ShakeOut Drill and get email updates.
- Download a Drill Broadcast recording from www.ShakeOut.org/drill/broadcast
- Have a two-minute “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” drill at 10:17 a.m. on Oct. 17.
- You may also want to coordinate an exercise of your emergency plan.
- Update disaster supply kits.
- Discuss what you learned and make improvements.
“Although Ohio is not typically known to experience damaging earthquakes, a 4.0 magnitude earthquake shook the Cleveland area just last June,” said Jeffrey J. Young, Director of Franklin County Emergency Management & Homeland Security. “The Great Central U.S. ShakeOut Drill provides the perfect opportunity to remind residents that it can happen in Ohio and they should be prepared.”