The holidays are here. And one thing they’re known for is encouraging indulgence, such as overeating and overspending, which can lead to unfortunate economic consequences. Americans are the fattest people in the world and every year sustain $150 – $210 billion in losses as a result. Plus, Americans began 2019 with over $1 trillion in credit card debt.
In light of this dark pattern perpetuated every holiday season, the personal-finance website WalletHub released its report this week on the 2019’s Most Sinful Cities in America as well as accompanying videos. To determine the most wicked places in America, WalletHub compared more than 180 U.S. cities based on seven sinful behaviors: anger and hatred, jealousy, excesses and vices, greed, lust, vanity and laziness.
Cleveland was ranked as the most sinful city in Ohio and 19th overall in the U.S.
Here are some highlights from the report:
|Most Sinful Cities||Least Sinful Cities|
|1. Las Vegas, NV||173. Newport News, VA|
|2. Los Angeles, CA||174. Madison, WI|
|3. St. Louis, MO||175. Bridgeport, CT|
|4. Houston, TX||176. Columbia, MD|
|5. Atlanta, GA||177. Burlington, VT|
|6. Philadelphia, PA||178. Port St. Lucie, FL|
|7. Chicago, IL||179. Virginia Beach, VA|
|8. New York, NY||180. Chesapeake, VA|
|9. Miami, FL||181. South Burlington, VT|
|10. Denver, CO||182. Pearl City, HI|
Most vs. Least Sinful
- Irvine, California, has the lowest violent crime rate, 0.56, which is 35.9 times lower than in Detroit, the city with the highest at 20.08.
- Port St. Lucie, Florida, has the fewest thefts (per 1,000 residents), 9.74, which is 7.4 times fewer than in Spokane, Washington, the city with the most at 72.11.
- Fremont, California, has the lowest share of obese adults, 15.30 percent, which is 3.1 times lower than in Detroit, the city with the highest at 47.40 percent.
- San Jose, California, has the lowest share of adult smokers, 8.20 percent, which is three times lower than in St. Louis, the city with the highest at 24.69 percent.
- West Valley City, Utah, has the fewest beauty salons & spas (per square root of population), 0.184699, which is 36.9 times fewer than in New York, the city with the highest at 6.812589.
To view the full report and your city’s rank, please visit: