Today’s featured job for journalists is a Deputy News Editor role for the Los Angeles Times. The job would be based in London, England
Here is the job description from indeed.com.
Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at one of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
Job Description Summary
The Los Angeles Times is looking for a Europe-based deputy news editor, who will play a vital role in our continuous news coverage.
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished senior journalist with a voracious and broad news appetite and a deep awareness of the issues that matter most to Californians, including technology, climate, immigration and trade. We are looking for a seasoned and versatile line editor who can pick up stories on a wide variety of subjects and serve as our newsroom’s eyes and ears when most of the West Coast is asleep.
The editor will be an innovative thinker with a global outlook and the ambition to deepen The Times’ relationship with its increasingly connected audience.
If you join us you will:
- Collaborate with editors in Hawaii, Washington and Los Angeles and work closely with our homepage and audience engagement duties
- Be expected to plot audience-minded approaches to important subjects
- Master headlines and optimize copy for all platforms and their targeted audiences
- Participate in departmental planning coverage
- Handle stories from correspondents based overseas, select wire stories for California audiences and work across various newsroom teams
- Develop and implement off-platform coverage strategy
- Make well-informed, effective and timely decisions, even when data is limited
- At least 10 years’ experience years of editing in a major news publication
- Passion about the news and its role in serving our democracy
- Optimism about the changes sweeping through the news industry
- Versatility in working across words, images and video
- Calm under pressure, with experience working in a fast-paced environment
- A proven track record of managing relationships with partners outside of the newsroom with poise and professionalism
The deputy news editor will report to the Foreign/National desk but work closely with our 24/7 News Desk.
Please send a letter and CV to Sewell Chan, deputy managing editor, and Angel Rodriguez, assistant managing editor, at the apply link. Please note, the opportunity to attach additional documents appears on the third screen and is labeled “Upload.”
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.