(Family Features) Cooking delicious family meals is surely the focus of many home chefs, from quick dishes on busy weeknights to homestyle favorites on the weekend. Equally important, however, is dishing up foods and ingredients you can feel good about serving to your loved ones.
The next time seafood is on the menu, consider the source of your main course. Available fresh, frozen, smoked and canned year-round and nationwide, seafood from Alaska is sustainably harvested, and you can trust it comes from a responsibly managed fishery. Utilizing a science-based approach, the state sustains the long-term vitality of species and their natural habitats, as well as the fishing communities that rely on them.
Fishermen and scientists work together to ensure they only harvest what science tells them the ecosystem can support, so that fish stocks, communities and the marine environment can thrive for generations to come.
Wild, sustainable and harvested in the USA, Alaska seafood is full of flavor and high-quality protein, vitamins, minerals and oils essential to good health, including omega-3s and vitamin D. You can feel good serving your loved ones these Blackened Alaska Cod Tacos as a classic way to spice up your dinner table, or give a sweet heat kick to Spicy Alaska Sablefish in Lettuce Cups with Korean chili paste, miso and honey.
Visit alaskaseafood.org to find more information and family-friendly recipes.
Spicy Alaska Sablefish in Lettuce Cups
Recipe courtesy of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Servings: 4 (2 lettuce cups each)
- 1/4 cup yellow or white miso
- 1 tablespoon Korean chili paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pound Alaska sablefish (black cod), cut into 2-ounce portions
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 small avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1-1 1/4 cups cooked sushi rice or quinoa
- 1/2 cup chopped English cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced halved radish
- 1/2 cup pickled ginger, chopped
- 1/2 cup bottled Asian-style salad dressing with wasabi and ginger
- 8 medium-large butter lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Blend miso, chili paste and honey; spread onto Alaska sablefish portions. Place portions on nonstick cooking spray-coated, foil-lined baking sheet. Roast 5-7 minutes, or until fish is opaque throughout and deep golden brown; cool slightly.
- In mixing bowl, combine avocado, rice or quinoa, cucumber, radishes and ginger; pour in dressing. Toss to coat.
- To serve, place about 1/3 cup vegetable-rice mixture in each lettuce leaf. Top with one sablefish portion. Sprinkle each lettuce cup with 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves.
Blackened Alaska Cod Tacos
Recipe courtesy of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute and Sari Diskin
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups slaw mix
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, plus additional for serving
- 1 lime, divided
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 pound Alaska cod
- olive oil
- blackening seasoning, to taste, plus additional, divided
- sea salt, to taste
- 4 small flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In bowl, mix slaw with mayonnaise, hot sauce, juice from 1/2 lime and salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.
- Line baking dish with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place Alaska cod on top and coat lightly with olive oil. Generously season with blackening seasoning and sea salt, to taste.
- Bake 5 minutes, set oven to broil and broil 3-5 minutes. When fish is done (when it flakes easily with fork and is opaque throughout), remove from oven and break into small chunks with fork.
- In flour tortillas, add avocado and slaw. Top with chunks of cod and drizzle with additional hot sauce, squeeze of lime juice from remaining 1/2 lime and additional blackening seasoning.
Photo courtesy of Sari Diskin (Blackened Alaska Cod Tacos)
Ways you can help support the show
Chase Bank – where you can get a $200 bonus by opening an account and doing a direct deposit. Open an account today at https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/raf/online/rafoffers?key=1934238931&src=N.
Ashley Furniture – Save money on your furniture with this coupon. https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/?extole_share_channel=SHARE_LINK&extole_shareable_code=viewfromthepugh5&extole_zone_name=friend_landing_experience
Donate to the show – Through CashApp at $ChrisPugh3.
Sign up for CashApp – Using the code ZFZWZGF. We will both get $5. https://cash.app/app/ZFZWZGF
Get your next project done for $5 through Fiverr – https://fiverraffiliates.com/affiliatev2/#:~:text=https%3A//fvrr.co/3K9Ugiq